1783 Downpatrick, Strangford, Portaferry & Killough Ireland Road Map | Taylor & Skinner

DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ONLY
No physical item will be shipped
Price
$7.99
Digital download · No physical item will be shipped

High-resolution JPG available after checkout

Frequently Bought Together

1783 Taylor & Skinner Downpatrick, Strangford, Portaferry, Killough & Ardglass, Ireland Road Map

This hand-coloured antique Irish road map, published in 1783, is Map 9 from the second revised edition of Taylor & Skinner’s Maps of the Roads of Ireland. Surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783, it records the historic road network around Downpatrick, Strangford, Portaferry, Killough and Ardglass, together with numerous connecting roads, estates and settlements in County Down.

The original heading “From Portaferry to Newtown-Ardes And to Donaghadee” identifies the wider journey represented by this sheet. Mileage tables record the routes from Portaferry towards Newtownards and Donaghadee, including Grey Abbey, providing a useful record of late-18th-century travel distances.

Portaferry and Strangford are prominently shown on opposite sides of Strangford Lough, with the surrounding shoreline, roads and nearby landed properties carefully engraved. Castle Ward is identified close to Strangford, together with other country houses and estates associated with contemporary landowners.

The route through Downpatrick forms another major feature of the map. The town is shown with several roads converging around it, while nearby places and properties include Hollymount, Vionstown and Ballydugan, along with surrounding roads and local landmarks.

The engraving also records Kilclief, Ballyculter, Bishop’s Court, Killough and Ardglass, together with churches, country houses, waterways and local roads. Killough is prominently shown beside Dundrum Bay, while the coastal setting and surrounding terrain give this section of the map particular visual interest.

The large engraved county name DOWN provides a clear geographical reference, while Strangford Lough and Dundrum Bay are two of the most distinctive natural features on the sheet.

The map preserves several historical place-name forms. Downpatrick appears as “Down-Patrick,” while Newtownards is written “Newtown-Ardes” in the original heading and mileage table. Modern spellings are used throughout this listing to make the locations easier to identify, while the historical forms remain visible in the artwork itself.

As throughout Taylor & Skinner’s survey, numerous named estates, country houses and contemporary landowners appear beside the roads, giving the engraving additional interest for Irish local history, genealogy and family-history research.

Identified as Map 9 in Taylor & Skinner’s Maps of the Roads of Ireland, it forms part of their extensive late-18th-century survey of Ireland’s principal roads.

WHAT YOU RECEIVE

Digital download only — no physical map, print or framed artwork will be shipped.

You will receive:

1 high-resolution JPG file

Dimensions: 6600 × 11,250 pixels

Resolution: 300 DPI

Maximum full-page print size: approximately 22 × 37.5 inches

Orientation: Portrait

The original antique map layout has been retained. Because these maps do not conform to a modern standard aspect ratio, the file is suitable for custom-size printing and framing.

It may also be displayed in a different-ratio frame by using a mat, cropping carefully, or allowing additional margins as required.

The downloadable image shows the complete antique map layout, including the engraved road map, original map margins, natural paper texture and historic age character.

The engraved map occupies part of the complete antique page and will therefore print smaller than the full stated page size.

ANTIQUE ORIGIN & HAND COLOURING

The source map was genuinely printed in 1783 and comes from the second edition of Taylor & Skinner’s Maps of the Roads of Ireland.

The work was originally surveyed in 1777, first published in 1778, and corrected and revised for this second edition in 1783.

Each antique map has been individually hand-coloured in watercolour by Jenny, then carefully digitised, cleaned, restored and colour-corrected to create a high-resolution printable artwork while preserving the fine engraved detail and historic character of the original map.

Natural variations in the antique paper, engraved lines, printing and other small signs of age are part of the character of the original 1783 map.

The original engraving has been individually hand-coloured, digitised, restored and prepared for high-resolution printing.

No generative AI was used to create the map artwork.

PRINTING & FRAMING

You may print the complete map as shown, display it in a different-ratio frame using a mat, or crop it carefully to suit your chosen frame.

For the best results, we recommend using a professional printing service or a good-quality home printer with heavyweight matte, archival matte or fine-art paper.

Colours may vary slightly depending on your monitor, printer, ink and chosen paper.

Because the engraved map occupies part of the complete antique page, the map itself will print smaller than the maximum stated full-page size.

Frames, mats and decorative objects shown in the product images are for display purposes only and are not included.

Please examine the product images and enlarged details carefully before purchasing.

PERSONAL USE & COPYRIGHT

The downloadable JPG file is supplied for personal use only.

Copyright in the supplied hand-coloured digital edition — including Jenny’s original watercolour colouring, digital photography or scanning, restoration, colour correction and file preparation — is owned by The Old Map Shop.

The underlying 1783 historical engraving is out of copyright, but this newly hand-coloured and digitally prepared reproduction may not be resold, redistributed, shared or made available online.

Printed or digital copies may not be sold or used commercially without prior written permission.

© The Old Map Shop

More Ireland Road Maps